Finished the quilt – so pleased, ignored all phone calls texts messages to get it done on Sunday.
The fusible batting seemed to work pretty well, although I wasn’t manipulating my quilt too much under the needle as all I was doing was crossing diagonal lines to create more triangles on the quilt. I didn’t have any problems with the quilt sandwich slipping or coming apart, but I think the idea of securing the outer edge, and if you are wanting a bit more reassurance the odd pin around the quilt, is a good idea. I didn’t feel the need for adding any pins in the centre of the quilt, only around the edge and enjoyed a pin free quilting experience.
The thing that got me on this quilt more was cutting the fabric on the bias with all those angles. I found it difficult to get the quilt straight, each time I thought I’d squared the thing, I would measure again and found the fabric had bowed again. So I lost some inches around the quilt, Argh!! I think, if I had had enough white cotton fabric I might have added a border around the triangles. (In my rush to finish this one I got sold some poly cotton by my local fabric shop, asked if it was 100% cotton, shop owner said yes, got home – did the burn test – not impressed, more on that another time)
I’m glad I finished it ‘cos there were certainly a few times it almost ended up in the scrap bag.
64″ by 70″
Hand Dyed Recycled Calico Fabric
White cotton Fabric
Recycled White Cotton Bed Sheet
Diagonal Lined Machine Quilted on Home Machine (Superior Thread…more on that later)
Thanks for coming to visit.