My little girl was adamant on a few of the changes I should make to her up-cycled white t-shirt to dress, one of which was keeping the neck of the ‘T’ on, this is what the outcome was…
so we kept the v-neck and finished it off, too cute, and she likes it:)
Using some of the fabric I dyed last week I turned this t-shirt…
into something prettier…
Now I think I need to refashion the neck and size so my little one might want to wear it:)
The method I used is reverse applique, quick and effective don’t you think, more on the refashioning to come.
I tried a different approach to dyeing this week, using three primary colours plus black, jars as well as plastic bags – these fabrics have all been dyed with the low-water immersion technique. I found Ann Johnston’s book ‘color by accident‘ fantastic inspiration and got some surprising and mixed results.
This is such a messy, wet and fun process.
I’ve got one more batch still to come, then it’s time to talk what to do with all these fab colours. And perhaps begin to explore some surface design techniques too.
- Shibori Dyeing (upanddyed.wordpress.com)
- Dyeing (recovergirl.wordpress.com)
- Dye Application and the Mystery of Batching (upanddyed.wordpress.com)
- Dyeing: Testing old dyes (fibercrush.wordpress.com)
I haven’t had my sewing machine out for more than a month and I do miss it, instead to keep me in touch with something crafty I’ve been doing a bit of dyeing, experimenting with different hues of the same colour….
It’s been fun, more to follow soon and then perhaps a little sewing time too:)
Life got so busy of late, there has been so much on my ‘to do list that’ the thing I love to do in spare moments had to be pushed to the side for a while.
I have however made some bags,
and found a whole lot of this white cotton just dying to be dyed…
More on the outcomes of that soon, I think, unless that life thing distracts me again,
Every triangle I make seems to get bigger, no planning it that way – but they are still triangles and it’s fun to play with colours and this shape. No curvy lines, just a ruler and rotary blade, which is a welcomed change for now.
Too much thinking got me cutting off some of the points to I stopped cutting my pieces into triangles before attaching them, rather I would give myself more than enough fabric to play with, a bit like when you paper piece.
Then I add this rectangular shape and trim of excess fabric giving myself a quarter inch for those pretty little points. This method works most of the time.
Got four triangles so far, the bed quilt is growing steadily.
Linking with Nina-Marie @ Creations – Quilts, Art, Whatever…
Off the Wall Friday
Thanks for coming to visit,
I dyed some more calico cotton about a week ago and was a little disappointed with some of the outcomes – the colours were not as deep as my first lot of hand dyeing.
(first dyeing colours shown above)
In fact, I didn’t think to spend some time ironing them until today…what a difference a week and some ironing can make….even though the colours are more subdued, I still like them. The only difference was that I added about double the fabric to each dye mix, and I wondered if maybe the cold cold weather might have affected the temperature in doors too.
Sweet and Simple pleasures.
Have a fantastic weekend where ever you are.
- First Workshops done! (yarnpony.wordpress.com)
- A splash of colour (gslyephotography.wordpress.com)