My little girl was adamant on a few of the changes I should make to her up-cycled white t-shirt to dress, one of which was keeping the neck of the ‘T’ on, this is what the outcome was…
so we kept the v-neck and finished it off, too cute, and she likes it:)
I keep on finding some books that I would love to add to my ever growing library… the first, mentioned to me when I first started talking about dyeing my own fabric was this one –
Linda Johansen’s Fabric Dyer’s Dictionary
Photo Courtesy of amazon.co.uk
The next is me dreaming of studio space and a place to start surface designs on fabric – this was further fuelled when facing the need to add writing to my challenge quilt over here. It’s a messy business, I believe, but one which is ever drawing me closer.
Printing By Hand: A Modern Guide with Handmade Stamps, Stencils and Silk Screens by Lena Corwin
Photo courtesy of amazon.co.uk
Photo Courtesy of Amazon.co.uk
I found this book first in the recommended reading list of Helen Deighan’s book Dyeing in Plastic Bags and took fancy to buying it to find out how Ann Johnston dyes her fabric. Terri from quilternity has a sale on both Color By Accident and Ann Johnston’s other book Color By Design. I bought both from her and was very pleased at receiving them across the atlantic promptly. Thanks Terri:)
Color by Accident offers comprehensive information about low water immersion techniques Using Procion MX dyes with some photos and step by step exercises to practice getting different results with your hand dyeing. She goes into details about the chemicals used, along with what fabric suits and the time and temperature needed for good results. She also discusses colour and how to achieve these with Procion MX Dyes.
I like the logical approach of this book. Now that I have tried primary and secondary colours a few times I’m interested in getting more texture,gradation of the same colour, less even results, over dyeing and mixing up the colours some more, this book looks like it will offer help in all of these areas.
Looking forward to experimenting and sharing the results.
I dyed some more calico cotton about a week ago and was a little disappointed with some of the outcomes – the colours were not as deep as my first lot of hand dyeing.
(first dyeing colours shown above)
In fact, I didn’t think to spend some time ironing them until today…what a difference a week and some ironing can make….even though the colours are more subdued, I still like them. The only difference was that I added about double the fabric to each dye mix, and I wondered if maybe the cold cold weather might have affected the temperature in doors too.
Sweet and Simple pleasures.
Have a fantastic weekend where ever you are.
- First Workshops done! (yarnpony.wordpress.com)
- A splash of colour (gslyephotography.wordpress.com)
The waiting is over – finally I can see my rainbow
Added the greens, blue and red.
Love em all.
Now I can start cutting the pieces up and sewing them together again.
Looking forward to it.
I thought I’d share the small space needed to store roughly 8 fat quarters of fabric when dyeing with low water immersion technique.
Anyone who knows me knows that our flat is not much bigger than a shoe box. So when I expressed interest in hand dyeing, it met with a lot of aversion from my other half:) The first lot of fabrics I dyed I didn’t even mention I had until I showed him the results dried and ironed. Needless to say, the man was pleasantly surprised that it could be done without any fuss.
Each colour has its own bag, in a suitable box, that is all you need.
I look forward to seeing these results, this time round I mixed some primary colours to get more range – problem is my patience levels versus the time needed to wait and let the dye do its thing….
By Thursday I will be able to do more stroking of fabric,
hmmm, I think I need to get out more;)
A few days ago I got to get out all my dyeing things.
Helen Deighan’s book to hand, having read much of it many times before I had a day to myself to get experimenting.
I chose to stay with primary colours and differed the fabric from the Prepared for Dyeing cotton to varying weights of calico.
The dyeing itself went smoothly what took more time and lots of water was the rinsing off of the extra dye to make the fabrics wash safe. All in all the process took three days!! More than I had first expected. But the results were good if not a bit surprising.
I feel happy with them all – next time I’ll start mixing the colours to get a wider colour palette to play with.
‘Till the next time.